Hope you are faring well in these strange tides.
Buddhafield Festival & Weekender 2021 will go ahead in July. We come under ‘outdoor venues with a capacity of 4,000 people or half-full (whichever is a lower number)’. We split our event in two early on to anticipate this possibility. We’ve also completed risk assessments on the events. To hold an event within the current guidelines, we have to take ‘reasonable measures’ to make the event COVID-secure.
The reasonable measures that will be in place are detailed below. Please know that these are the result of many hours of discussion, emotion and hard work. They are the product of collaboration and consultation between the team here, health & safety, the local council and the current guidelines. They are conditions of our license. Being able to enjoy your time at Buddhafield within them is part of caring for each other and for Buddhafield’s future.
- Temperature checks will be required on entry to the event for all attendees. These will be using an infrared thermometer and will not require any contact. If your skin temperature registers high on the infrared thermometer, it will be checked again. If still high, it will need to be taken again via a tympanic device to get a proper core reading.
- Social distancing measures will be in place during the event. This will apply in some spaces and also to queues. There will also be a one-way system in places in certain areas of the event where the tracks are narrow.
- Where social distancing cannot be maintained, masks are required unless you are exempt. In case of the latter, we would welcome you wearing a visor. This will be clear upon entry to certain spaces. The rules will largely be the same as they are out in the world right now - inside shops, inside enclosed spaces, during face-to-face therapies etc. masks will be required. In your personal spaces - tents and live-ins - it will be up to you to follow the government guidelines regarding mixing of households etc.
- Please ensure you bring masks and, where possible, hand sanitiser. Hand washing will be freely available.
- Upon arrival at the festival, you will need to wait in your vehicle until the screening team can get to you.
Hopefully, it goes without saying that you should not come to the event if you or anyone you have had close contact with is displaying COVID symptoms or has had a positive test for COVID. You also need to follow all local and national guidelines that apply to your area and during travel to and from the event.
We make a heartfelt request that you take a lateral flow COVID test 3 or 4 days before attending and if the test is positive to arrange a PCR test to confirm the result. Please bear in mind that by taking this extra step you will contribute to the possibility of an event that is free from any issues. Lateral flow test kits can be obtained free of charge from most pharmacies, or by post from this government website: https://www.gov.uk/order-coronavirus-rapid-lateral-flow-tests. Having a test will not mean you are exempt from temperature checks - it’s just good to do… and you might want to consider doing the same when you get home to bring a bit of the caring vibe back to your home community.
We’ve put together a series of FAQs with even deeper information based on what we think the questions will be. We’ve done our best to cover all bases but we don’t pretend to have all the answers to all the questions. We’ll keep on trying to find a place where people feel heard and understood in their concerns but, ultimately, some things will happen unexpectedly and we’ll all have to trust ourselves to respond compassionately in the moment.
The invitation is to see all of this as just different patterns we’re making this year. Each measure is a potential place for seeing our boundaries, our fears, and our practice. It’s space to be kind, without expectations and be in each situation with as much presence as possible. It will be strange, tricky and joyful at times – and that’s the way it always is.
We recognise the challenges here though. We’re confident that we can create a beautiful and connecting event together - albeit an unusual one. However, if it all seems like too much and you don’t think you’ll be able to integrate the measures into your experience, get in touch to talk about a refund or to secure your place for Buddhafield 2022.
We look forward to seeing you out there soon. If you have any questions or want to talk further about anything here, please email email@example.com and we’ll talk. We want to meet as many concerns as possible. However, please be aware that at this stage we cannot change anything. We’ve managed to get the go ahead to happen unlike many other events this year. This has taken a lot of heartfelt work and consideration.
The Buddhafield Team
16 June 2021
Updated: 29 June 2021